Dienstag, 26. August 2014

819 - From Canada

Harp Seal


Marine Life and Sea Creature Tag
Seals are one of my favorite animals, so I join the Marine Life and Sea Creature tag from time to time, hoping to receive a seal card. On Friday I found this beauty in my mailbox. The card shows a Harp Seal and gives some information on its back:

"As soon as the female Harp Seal weans her pup, she is ready to breed again with the promiscous males who have been anxiously waiting in large herds on nearnby ice flows. Courtship begins on the ice with males enticing the females to mate by calling, blowing bubbles, pawing and chasing the females down. Mating typically takes place in the water and a female will often mate with more than one male. As a result the female is typically pregnant for eleven months of the year."

Thanks for sending me this lovely card!
From Canada
Received: 22.08.2014

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen